First off, let me note that this has nothing whatsoever to do with the revelations of the CCP newsletter and email, much less any of the more minor quibbles about Incarna (graphics, virtual goods prices, etc). Most of this post was written two weeks ago. In fact, I almost decided to resubscribe to be able to stay active in the midst of the carnage, but I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s time, and RL>Eve. (Oh, and see below about my stuff.)
This week will effectively mark the end of 12 months of Eve play for me. I’ve had a lot of fun learning, playing, exploring and writing. I’ve come across some fantastic people. I don’t think there’s ever really a good time to say “done”, and there are still things I want to do in Eve.
But in the end, I’m a 40-year-old guy with two rapidly-growing kids, a wife I haven’t spent enough time with, a fairly high-pressure job at a large company, and more stuff to do around the house than I can possibly keep up with – and I’ve been falling behind for a while. It’s time for me to bid farewell to 2-4 hours per night of Eve for the foreseeable future.
I took a brief break a couple of months ago that helped me to decide this once and for all. There were a few things then that I decided I still wanted to do.
- Complete The Shattered Planets Datacore. Long after I’ve left the game and this blog has gone idle, I think this will be my real legacy to the community as far as lore goes. Check.
- Lead an Eve University roam fleet to show some new players what I discovered while investigating the shattered planets. Thanks Eve Uni leadership and Mark726. Check.
- Fly with a small gang PVP corp for a while. Last night we did what I will look on as a great last hurrah – in just over an hour and five separate engagements: Hurricane, Iteron, Drake, Coercer, Rapier. Thanks TORAH. Check.
- Attend E3 and share a drink with CCP, and if possible Valve. Thanks @mread. Check and check.
- See my arty Hurricane from the balcony of the CQ. Thanks CCP. Check.
While my subscription will be lapsing at the end of June, I still have a few things left that I hope to do here on the blog, and will remain on the #tweetfleet while I do them. They include:
- A blog posting answering “Can I haz your stuffz?” For most of you… no. But for some of you, the answer will be … yes! Provided I can get on tonight to do it, I’ll even do it IC for one last “story”.
- A blog posting with a complete teardown of critical Eve story elements found in The Empyrean Age. Spoilers catalogue for those of you who, like me, were very frustrated that details you might need to understand the in-game story were only available in a book.
- A minimum of seven more photo postings of ships and/or fleets. One of the most unexpected pleasures I’ve had in Eve was the pretty screencaps, and I have loads that I want to make available to the community for future use before I call it a wrap for good.
If there is one thing I will walk away from Eve with, it’s this: Come for the Internet Spaceships, stay for the Community. Whether they be your corp (I’ve flown with three great ones and with the majority of members of a few others), the #Tweetfleet (thank you for helping me discover that Twitter is indeed useful) or the blogosphere. It is harder to leave the conversation than the game.